In November of 2011, the Baptist State Convention of North Carolina introduced her 2012 initiative entitled, Find It Here: Expanding the Kingdom. Built upon the foundation of Acts 1:8 where Jesus said, “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be My witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth,” Find It Here: Expanding the Kingdom is a holistic process designed to help churches move step by step through the development of a biblical mission strategy aimed at expanding God’s Kingdom through the fulfillment of the Great Commission.
Designed by missions practitioners, the Expanding the Kingdom process includes an abundance of tools to assist in communicating a biblical missiology to your congregation and tools specifically designed to help the congregation develop, implement and evaluate an effective Acts 1:8 mission strategy. These resources and other helpful tools may be found at http://finditherenc.org.
To maximize the resources offered in Find It Here: Expanding the Kingdom consider the following steps.
1. Spend some time at http://finditherenc.org. Familiarize yourself with the resources offered, giving special attention to the Planning Guide. Don’t forget to “Sign Up” to participate so we can send you future updates and additional helpful suggestions.
2. Place Find It Here: Expanding the Kingdom on the church calendar for 2012. Ideally you will need five consecutive weeks for the integrated sermon series, small group Bible studies and daily devotions. Make a priority of communicating a biblical missiology. Your strategy will flow directly from your congregation’s biblical understanding of the mission of the church.
3. Pastor, enlist a “Leadership Team” of mission leaders from the church to assist you in the Expanding the Kingdom process. This group may well be your current Missions Committee, your Deacon Fellowship, Church Council, etc., but they should represent a cross-section of your church’s membership and they must have a passion for the Great Commission. This team must be the “missions champions” of your congregation. Pastor, you will provide the leadership for this group.
4. Have the Leadership Team complete the Leadership Team Pre-Assessment. In the assessment the Leadership Team will define for the congregation the church’s Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria and the ends of the earth.
5. Have the congregation complete the Congregational Assessment Survey. This survey will give the Leadership Team the perception of the congregation as to the effectiveness of the mission strategy currently in place in the church. Five areas of church life will be assessed – prayer, evangelism, disciple-making, mission mobilization, and long-term mission engagement.
6. Interpret the Congregational Assessment Survey and complete the Leadership Team Assessment. This critical step will prepare you for the next phase of the Expanding the Kingdom process.
7. Lead the congregation through the five week series of integrated sermons, Bible studies and daily devotions.
8. Utilize the resources for the Develop, Implement and Evaluate phases of Expanding the Kingdom located on the Find It Here website at www.finditherenc.org under the tab marked “Mission Strategy”.
Give these eight simple steps a try. We believe these steps will enable your congregation to initiate the process of developing an effective Acts 1:8 mission strategy. Together, we can expand His Kingdom and fulfill the Great Commission.